Friday, June 01, 2007

Magic Bites

Magic is a part of Kate Daniels everyday life during the time of the day when magic makes technology go awry, cars won’t start and guns don’t want to fire. All sorts of magical things start to appear and rouge mages are able to use their magic. But when technology is able to work again Kate is there to clean up the problems that magic has left behind. She is a mercenary of sorts that helps take care of all sorts of paranormal problems. Greg Feldman was Kate’s guardian and the Knight-diviner. He has been taking care of her since her parents died. When Greg is murdered she takes on the case personally which almost proves to be more than she can handle. Each sect blames the other for a group of murders. Greg’s murder could be connected with these murders as well. Thrust into a tug of war like power struggle between the Masters of the dead and the Pack, both sides looking to Kate for answers. She starts to feel like it is a bit over her head but she likes it that way and always has. When she starts really investigating Greg’s murder things get even deeper and deeper. She also stumbles onto a guy that could be Mr. Right, but she doesn’t quite know how to handle Crest. The murders start to emulate an old case but could it be that this the same type of case again? She must look to people that she doesn’t really trust for help to solve the case.

Ilona Andrews weaves a suspenseful page-turner that you won’t want to put down. I found my self so absorbed in this book that it was finished before I knew it. She really knows how to keep your attention I will definitely be buying the sequel to this book or anything else she puts out it was a compelling read.

" I rummaged through Greg’s desk drawer for a mirror. Every self-respecting mage had a mirror close to hand. Too many spells required it. Greg’s was a rectangle set in a plain wooden frame. I caught my image in it and almost dropped the rag. My hair glowed. It radiated a weak burgundy luminescence, which shifted when I ran my hands through it, as if each individual strand of hair was coated in fluorescent paint. I shook my head, but the radiance didn’t dim. Growling at it didn’t help either, and I didn’t have the faintest idea how to get rid of it."

"I hid in the farthest corner of the room, invisible from the door, and opened the file. If you can’t make it go away wait it out."

No comments: